Wednesday, January 23, 2013

First ever REAL swim!!

Mum, dad dad and I are taking all these big steps down to the beach.


What a beaut warm day... and I can see some dawgs up ahead.


Dad dad has taken my lead off - and these two girls have taken me under their wings.... the black dawg is Poppy (she lost her back leg last April after a host of operations failed) and her sister (I forget her name....sorry!)


POPPY: Now Rubie.... it's a nice hot day.... do ya wanna come into the surf???

Well - I'm scared...... don't really like the waves .... can you help me get over my nerves?? I'd rather muck about on dry land.


POPPY'S SISTER: Come on Rubie..... you CAN do it.... keep coming...one paw after the other!


You will help me ma if I get into trouble???

MUM: Of course - I'll wade out and be there for you.


POPPY: That was just one little wave Rubie..... jump over and come on in - the water is FAB!!

Let me do this shake first and I'll give it another go! Wish me luck!


POPPY: You just run into the water full-on....like this!!


Right here I go!!!!!! 


Look ma..... I'm past my tummy in the waters!

MUM: Oh gosh..... do you think you can go a little deeper to try and swim??? I'm here to help if you need a hand!


I'm deeper..... will that do?? Is this swimming yet??

MUM: Not really bub...you need to get deep enough so you have to doggie paddle because you can't stand anymore - I know you can do it!


(Paddle, paddle, paddle...)

Look at me..... I'm swimming ma!!! Look no paws on the bottom!!!

NB: Thanks to Poppy and her sister whose enthusiasm really helped me get over my nerves. I think I like this swimming business.... I remind myself of my furiend Bert who is forever in and out of his lakes and stuff (no matter what the weather!)


We are off to go home now. See ya girls!!! See ya round! Thanks for the swim tips!


Here is a "cliff-top" view of where I was swimming. See the peeps in the water - that is the sheltered spot without rocks that helped me find my surf paws.

What a day!



24 comments:

  1. Rubie, you were so brave!! I am kind of scared of the water. I don't know if I would have gone in. You were great. Your friends seem really nice. I am glad you had such a good time.

    Loveys Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo, bravo!!! You are so brave, Rubie. We don't really go 'real' swimming even in our river and we don't have much water as that! Bella is the only real swimmer in our pack.

    Hope you get to go back there to cool off soon. Did you get to dig in the sand?

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  3. RUBIE!!!! Oh my goodness! Way to go girl. You remind me of me. My buddy Bert helped me get over my fear of swimming. Now I don't love it as much as him. But I can do it too! And because of that I discovered the joy of fishing. And I have caught FISH! I am so proud of you.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rubie! You are a superstar! Swimming is the most awesomest thing ever!

    Sam and Pippen

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really went swimming! I'm sure it helped cool you off. I hear it has been real hot where you are. I've never seen that much water. I wonder if I will ever get a chance to go swimming.

    Millie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super swimming action Rubie! I've never been to a beach but not sure I would want to swim either. I have done doggy paddles in a heated pool but only with a life-jacket on. I'm not really an action-girl like you :-) more of a snoozing in bed kinda girl especially in this freezing weather - woofs and licks from Magic xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Rubie you are a natural. Bet you can't wait for the next time. I don't swim as I don't like to get my ears wet but I love a good paddle. Have a wonderful Wednesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word! RUBIE, I is so proud of you fur bein' so brave! You looked amazin' out in dat water swimmin' fur da very furst time...what an accomplishment. And a big THANK YOU to Poppy and What's her name fur helpin' you! Dang I is proud.

    Puddles

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so brave. Phody loves to swim, Lee likes to paddle!
    Hope you get to swim again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bow-WOW Rubie! Great job, you look so good in the water, you look really proud of yourself that you can swim, isn't it so nice and refreshing, cool on your long furs? I just love to swim, I do it all the time in the summer in the lake by me and when we go to the beach where Jasper lives, I don't much like the little waves on my paws or splashing in my face but love to doggy paddle! You did very well, especially with so much help from your new friends, that Poppy looks very happy, seeing her run about on the beach with three legs is just amazing, its such a big image of courage and hope, she was faster than youdoing zoomies too! What an amazing day you had, and its nice to see hot sunny warm and beautiful weather because its snowing like crazy here!
    Love, Licks and Hugs from your Furiend Frank XxxxX

    ReplyDelete
  11. We want to add OUR BRAVOs to the long list of other well wishers. THAT is just wonderful. We are REALLY PROUD of you Rubie. I'll bet you will be in the next olympics fur SURE.

    PeeS... We love your new header.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh boy does that water look fantastic. And no lead! That is a perfect day playing with your friends and Pops
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dawling Wubie
    What a GWEAT day! you awe soo lucky to have that bootiful watew to go into and gweat fwiends like Poppy who can show you how to enjoy it and hep you out .congwatoolashuns on youw big swim..i knew you colld do it
    I do miss going swimming, so you'll just have to do it fow me
    smoochie kisses
    ASTA

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pawsome job Rubie! That was so nice of your furends to help you out and teach you the finer trade of swimming. I know that you'll be back to do it again real soon.

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rubie!!! I can't believe how deep in the water you were!! I doggie paddle even if Ma holds me over the water. BOL I hate getting my feet wet nevermind going in past my belly. Bravo to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOWSers!! That looked like a blast and I dont even like water!! BOL

    wags
    jazzi and addi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Howdy Rubie, well done girl! Now there will be no stopping you when you go to the beach. We loved your photos and your new friends too. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory
    P.S. Next week we are going to the beach for the first time ever! If you hear about a beached whale at Goolwa, don't worry, it will probably only be Rory sunning himself hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gosh Rubie you are very brave. Waves are so scary, I was 'encouraged' to try that swimming lark once. Never again.
    Toodle pip!
    Bertie.
    PS What a beautiful beach.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well done sis I'm proud of yea, there's no stopping you now.
    I bet next time Mom will be swimming to get you back out :)
    Happy Australia Day to all of your family
    Have a Good Week love Bro xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. So clever Rubie next you'll be in the doggies swimming olympics!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jealous! Love to swim and chase the fish! Good job.
    Wuff wuff, Henry

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are SO lucky that you have places like this to swim!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, I bet swimming was so fun! I love the pictures of you guys :)

    ReplyDelete

I do a Big Tail Wuggle when I get your comment!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...